Thursday, July 12, 2007

How to Keep Busy when you can't read or watch TV

Well, God is good, and answers prayers! My blood counts are up enough to have chemo tomorrow, and I'm getting prepared. (Meaning I bought lots of snacks to keep D happy) The best thing is, I found a wonderful website to help combat the long hours when I'm restless/ can't sleep/can't read or watch TV because the anti-nausea medicine blurs my vision. Go to LibriVox.org. They have out-of-copyright books on mp3 files, that people have recorded. It's very easy to download and play; mine plays on my computer very easily. Those of you that know me, know I'm very technochallenged, but I managed to do it without problem. And D "burned" some of the books off onto CDs for me, so I can play them on my CD player. Now I can listen to classic Andre Norton, H. Rider Haggard (Allan Quatermain), Rudyard Kipling, and Jack London stories, even at 3 a.m. There are even volunteer opportunities -- reading books aloud to put on the site, or listening/proofreading. I have proof-listened to one book, but I don't think I can read a book aloud, since Shiva (the lovebird that thinks she's a Rottweiler) never shuts up. I don't think anyone wants to listen to Charles Dickens with her screaming in the background at anything and everything.

1 comment:

TheNormalMiddle said...

I just clicked thru your comment at my blog and I wanted to tell you that I'm so glad you commented...so that I can now be praying for you! I love to see who my readers are (and find a new blog to read to boot!)

I have been sitting here reading your entries about chemo and your struggles and I said a prayer for you today.

My mother is a two time cancer SURVIVOR and I know how hard the road can be, but I also know that you come across the other side deeply changed and renewed in your passion and zest for life. Truthfully, it was my moms' 2 bouts with cancer (breast cancer and then endometrial 7 years later) that made me really learn to "enjoy the journey" and changed my outlook on life.

Have a beautiful and blessed day. I will be back checking on you and your progress...waiting to hear GOOD news!