Saturday, September 15, 2007

5th chemo down, one to go....

Well, I have been abominably amiss in not adding to my blog lately, and I apologize. It seems I have never gotten my strength and energy back and here I had another chemo Friday. Plus some...other news. At my doctor's appointment Thursday I found out I am slightly anemic, and that my neuropathy (numbness and tingling in my fingers and feet) is worsening. He had me walk heel to toe (like a drunk test) and I failed miserably. I kept thinking...this is ridiculous! I CAN do this! But I couldn't. I asked for a note from him saying that if I get pulled over by the cops that I am NOT drunk...I just walk this way. The upshot is that he took me off one of the three chemo drugs, the one that causes this neuropathy, although it can get worse for 3 - 6 months afterwards until that drug is out of my system.
On October 1 I have another CAT scan, and if there's any cancer still in my system, I have to go for bone marrow transplant. I don't want to think about that just yet, because I have a feeling it is going to involve me stuck in a hospital room for quite a while.
On the lighter side, I introduced my German class to pumpernickel bread, Butterkase, and (TA-DA)Limburger cheese. A few brave souls tried it, and promptly ran for the bathroom, got drinks of water, ate candy...nothing can stop the power of Limburger! Twenty minutes later, while we were working on worksheets, one of them burped, and promptly moaned, "It's coming back!" Limburger...the gift that keeps on giving.

No comments: