Sunday, January 6, 2008

New Year!!

Well, one of my new year's resolutions is to blog much more frequently! I'm also reading the Bible through in one year, along with my husband. And thank you, Elise, I'm going to drink my water!!
I received a totally clean report from my PET scan -- I am "clinically in remission", praise God! I want to get my body back in shape, and my house back in shape, warp up my loom and weave again,get my jewelry business back to where it was before the cancer/my entire inventory was stolen.
The best Christmas presents are books, and I hit the motherlode. I promise to blog all the books I read this year. First of all I read Terry Pratchett's Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. If you've read any of his work, especially Wyrd Sisters, you need this book. I have been married 20 years, and I don't know I've survived without recipes for Spicy Spotted Dick and Strawberry Wobbler. It's an absolute hoot!
On the other end of the spectrum is Death's Acre by Dr. Bill Bass and Jon Jefferson. Dr. Bass was the creator of the Body Farm at the University of Tennessee, where they leave donated bodies out to decompose in order to study the changes in the bodies, and they pioneered forensic entomology, the study of the time frame of flies and beetles coming to bodies/laying eggs, etc. Fascinating work, although I caught my husband looking at my strangely as I was probing my neck, feeling my hyoid bone, or placing a pencil straight down under my nose to determine whether my teeth protrude farther than my chin. It was only 287 pages, and I would have gladly devoured 600 more.

No comments: